Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pretty Things Spotlight: Element Clay Studio



Strange. Rough. Spine. Sharp. Texture...


All words that describe the work of
Heather Knight's Element Clay Studio.

But, then again,...
Beautiful. Imaginative. Modern. Futuristic. and Whimsical also describe her sweet, quirky clay creations.

◦ ◦ ◦



Inspired by all the charming, enlightened aspects of nature, she sculpts her simplified forms, urchins, orbs and other wunderful ceramic shapes, delighting herself in the technically challenging composition of her work.


Simply delightful!



"My goal is to make work that reflects my touch and recalls the complexity and beauty found in the natural world."
*Tell us a bit about yourself...
My name is Heather Knight. I live in Asheville, NC. I am obsessed with ceramics. I make work in my dreams, when I am driving, even when I am
out with friends and supposed to be listening.


*What inspires you?
I am inspired by the wealth of visual information that is found in the world around me, but only in those rare moments when I can quiet my mind and
really look. Observation and awareness are at the root of everything I do. I can walk to the grocery store and find an amazing spiky seed pod, or go to the beach and find barnacles on a rock and be totally moved by the beauty of it all. I absolutely loathe winter, so when its cold, I usually Google all sorts of things and flip through magazines to get my ideas flowing.


*Apart from creating beautiful things, what do you do for fun?
I work seven days a week, so fun is what you make it, but when I can, I like
to cook, run away to the beach, go on walks and look for interesting things to make. My favorite thing right now is a hot bubble bath and a movie, simultaneously.




*What has been your most memorable moment selling your art?

I have had many wonderful conversations with people that purchase my work, and I love that I get to communicate directly with my buyers and hear
their stories. I cry tears of gratitude at least once a week as a result of the positive feedback I get from buyers on Etsy. I just made my biggest sale yesterday. It was one of those moments when I could be proud of myself, and I can fell like the universe is supporting my dream.


*Any advice for fellow artists...
If you
believe in yourself and are dedicated to what you do, You are already a success in my eyes.


Etsy shop:
http://elementclaystudio.etsy.com

Blogs:

http://www.heatherknightceramics.blogspot.com
http://www.elementclaystudio.blogspot.com



5 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely interview. i really like those pears. beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What amazing pieces! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Great spotlight.

Waterrose said...

Thanks for featuring this talented artist...I may not have ever found her.

amy said...

heather is as lovely as her work too!