Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pretty Things Spotlight: k* smith


I have a reallly sweet treat to share with you this week....


k* smith is one of my very favourite artists. I'd love to be able to live for one day inside of her head. It would be so much fun to see the world in her way if only for just a short while. Her characters are so full of whimsy ...such long-necked beauties. Every piece she paints has so much emotion and if you listen closely, each a story to tell...


Sadie...now lives happily with us!


spotlight:
k* smith


Tell us a bit about yourself: My name is k*smith and I live in a cute little college town called Missoula, Montana. The asterisk in my name isn't there because I think I'm a star of some sort. I am actually studying to become an economist, and it is our symbol for efficiency. I feel that, in my life, I am most efficient when I can produce art everyday (in addition to studying, of course)!

What inspires you? I rarely sketch any of my characters in pencil first. I just stick my pen on the piece of wood and see what comes out. It has been fun that way~ very little pressure, and super entertaining! I love drawing elderly characters and beautiful girls. I tell my husband that I don't draw young men because he's the only one I need (sorry for the cheese). I started drawing portraits when I was seven, and I haven't felt like stopping yet. People are just such wonderful subjects...

Apart from creating, what do you do for fun? Here is a nice, short answer: Math, tons and tons of math...and I love it!

What has been your most memorable moment selling your art? My first international sale was a pretty amazing feeling. I just couldn't believe that my art would be hanging on a wall in Vienna, Austria. It still blows my mind.

Any advice for fellow artists? *Keep trying new things* Never feel like you have to continue creating in a particular style. My work has grown so much over the past six months~ I can't wait to see where it is in another six!




Etsy Shop: Unconventionalida
Blog: http://www.idassketchbook.blogspot.com





















7 comments:

Kelly Anne Dalton said...

Raven, this is the sweetest, kindest thing that anyone (that isn't related to me) has ever said.

Thank you so very much for this lovely feature...I am sincerely honored.

Jenn Jorgensen said...

I love "k"'s art work also!
I have her bookmarks. They are great.

PS
Great blog

Dharma Designs said...

Raven - great article - and great featured artist! :-)

Unknown said...

what a beautiful feature. and such lovely pictures.

ei! kumpel said...

great interview!

oh and cool blog!

phoebec said...

K*smith is a fantastic artist. This is such a well done feature and i love the gallery photos

Rose-Segrest said...

She is extremely talented I love her shop on etsy, i love the pic with multiple pieces of hers hung, they hang well nicely together:)
-jen