Saturday, January 26, 2008

Pretty Things Spotlight: ProjectFelt

Recently, I came across a very talented artist named Tara aka ProjectFelt, who happens to be from a town close to where I grew up in Pennsylvania.
I related to her on a personal level when I read her profile and, knowing the small town mind set as I do, loved that she found a creative outlet as I did when I lived there.
Tara is also a mixed-media artist. She has dabbled in arts and crafts such as jewelry, greeting cards, polymer clay and copper sculptures. Then, she stumbled upon the wonderful world of felting ...and now she feels the passion that an artist feels when she/he truly discovers what they are meant to be doing.



Spotlight: ProjectFelt


Tell us a bit about yourself: My name is Tara Vaughn. I have wonderful supportive boyfriend of 6 years and two kids, a cat and a dog that act like they are royalty. Trust me, they own us. We don't own them. :) I was born and raised in Greencastle PA, a small town about a hour north of Baltimore MD. I'm addicted to sleep and deathly scared of going to the doctor. I love the dentist though! I have an eclectic style and love all things unique and different. I'm constantly rearranging my home and changing things around.

What inspires you? I get inspired the most when I'm in bed trying to sleep. Things will just pop into my head. I read a lot of fashion and interior design magazines that give me ideas on colors, styles etc. I read blogs like D*S and Modish to get my interior design fix and I love to take things from nature. I often try to come up with ideas that are functional as well. I don't like to make things that could be dust collectors.

Apart from creating things, what do you do for fun? Hmm...well for me crafting and my business takes up most of my life, but, when I don't have a hook in my hand, I'm usually either sleeping, shopping or out at a bar with friends. You will always find me at the pool in the summer and riding my bike in the Spring. In the winter, I'm a home body. I hate the cold! I also like to experiment with different mediums in my down time. Right now I have a itch to create some eye pillows filled with relaxing scents and wonderful silky fabrics.

What has been your most memorable moment selling your art? I remember during the Christmas season, I was down to $5 in my bank account. I needed to buy groceries to prepare a meal for some family members. I had no money to buy the food that I needed. I was freaking out! I went into my bedroom, layed on my bed and started crying. I know, cheesy huh? A couple hours later I decided to check my Etsy to see if, by chance, I sold anything. Turns out I sold over $200 worth of product in one hour! I was ecstatic. I was happy that I know had the money to prepare the meal I wanted to for my family. It was the single most blessed thing that has ever happened to me.

Any advice for fellow artists? I hear a lot of newbies in the forums expecting instant sales. It doesn't work that way. You have to work hard. You have to treat it as if it's your full time job. Even if you already work full time, you have to find the time to market your product and get active with the indie community. Exposure is the single best promotion. A blog is a must! And promoting your blog is a second must! What's the point in having one if you don't direct people to it?

"I haven't been as passionate with other crafts as I have with felting. I find myself dreaming about what I'm going to create next, really it's true. So that's when I knew felting is what I wanted to do the rest of my life...and I love it. I'm truly blessed with my eye for color and design."

Etsy Shop: ProjectFelt
Blog: http://projectfelt.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Raven!

You have a nice blog :)

This felted thinks are great, I'm felt artist too, from Slovenia, and have shop on Etsy: www.unna.etsy.com

Regards from Milica

Unknown said...

Hey Raven...

Thanks again. Love the blog. You are now on my blog roll.
Best
T

Rose-Segrest said...

great advice for new etsians thanks
project felt, beautiful pieces by the way,
-jen

oobbles said...

I enjoyed this post. The idea of, "and now she feels the passion that an artist feels when she/he truly discovers what they are meant to be doing." really struck me. I wonder how common it is for artists to go from thing to thing before settling.

karlita said...

Felt is my passion too - so i loved reading this story! And now I'm going to explore your blog further! (your studio is gorgeous btw)