Sunday, October 14, 2007

Our trip to Austin, TX - October 2007

We've been in Austin working [and having fun], so blogging has been on hiatus, but I'm back.

I loved Austin. It's an amazing city on the Colorado River, but I don't think I could live there 'cuz I get bored so quickly. Too bad for me, huh?

Anyway, here's a photo of me and Mike at Shady Grove...I did get a haircut in Austin, trusting my locks to a Texas chick named Rachel. I was a bit scared when I saw her Texas-style look and almost backed out on her to switch to the one rockabilly chick in the place, but I stuck with her and she actually gave good hair! This shot is me pre-cut and Mikie un-shaven for over a week.


I loved the fact that our hotel was right on the river with a stunning view of the Frost Bank Bldg, which has to be one of my favourite buildings of all time now. It looks like an Owl from certain angles. Isn't that quirky?
The Frost Bank Bldg, downtown Austin:Our view from the hotel overlooking Austin, the Colorado River and the Bat Bridge, where every night at sunset, some 2 million bats fly out from under the bridge. It really is a sight to see!

The food in Austin was amazing, with lots of green chilies and barbeque. Yee-haw!
...and nary a fast food chain such as McDonald's in sight. I think I loved that the most as I'm so tired of seeing so many chain-style eateries everywhere.
In Austin, it's more down home and I love that.
Some of our fave places to eat [not including the Shi-Shi places obviously] and must-have eats:
The Green Mesquite
KILLER Mesquite Cheesesteak
Cheesy and yummy with Green Chiles that rivals any Philly Cheesesteak


Shady Grove
Green Chile Cheeseburger
Hatch Green Chile Sauce and Monterey Jack cheese top this spicy burger


Chuy's
Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
Enchiladas with their special Boom-Boom sauce

Whataburger
Even though it is a Texas & Southwest chain, the food there is good. Although we were surprised that they don't serve BBQ sauce...They're in Texas for God's sake! Anyway, they win for best cold hamburger the next morning. No joke. It was even better cold than, dare I say it???... In and Out...and y'all know how I love my In and Out Animal Style. :)

...and winner of the most romantic old-school Italian restaurant goes to Romeo's.
We had a great nite there...and I discovered a new way to make a Mojito...with basil instead of mint! So Yummy!







We spent time working too...Here's a shot on Sixth Street at a night shoot.
Shopping on Congress is FUN....and I found a new favourite store: Uncommon Objects

































If you like old, antique and quirky, then this is the place for you!
Over 30 vendors display their wares in a chic, kitschy way. I spent most of my time [and money!] there and picked up soooo many fabulous finds!
Too bad you can't shop Uncommon Objects online, but there are just waaay too many items in the store to make that possible...and I'm sure that their turn-over rate is tremendous as well. It's definitely a reason to visit Austin again. :)




I also loved the store front for Monkey See Monkey Do -->



On our way back from Austin, [...yes, we drove there!] we spent time in other parts of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona taking photos and visiting places that looked interesting, such as small towns, historic sites and, of course, graveyards.

A week after our return, we had our latest show in downtown Los Angeles, which turned out to be a great success. Orders are still coming in! I'll post more about that later, but in the meanwhile, you can see just some of my new art in my shop.

xxx
Raven

No comments: